Wednesday, December 7, 2016

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Chester Bentley from The Last Treasure of Ancient England


Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

I live in Plymouth, in a quiet part of town overlooking the sea and surrounded by greenery, for which I am eternally grateful. I am average build and not butch but have ample strength in my limbs. I’m lucky in that I rarely have to brush my hair, it seems to behave itself all on its own, pulled back as it is. I don’t know what I want to do in the future but I do know I want to use my time in this world wisely and to feel I have been a positive presence for those I have around me. I like to make people smile, but sadly humour is not my calling in life. I am filled with an intense desire to do something with my life, but what that is I have not yet discovered.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Take the dog for a walk in the woods along the stream. Play rugby and watch films with friends. I know I should read more often but as soon as I finish a page my memory goes blank, I think it’s because I am easily distracted and given to daydreaming. One day I’ll get into reading, I know it’s important.


What is your favorite color and why?

Probably green… for cars and the landscape.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

Again, no firm favourite. I am discovering that I like all types of food as long as they are prepared with care and attention. But if it were a last meal then it would probably have to be my gran’s roast.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

I always find myself having to answer people when they say my name and then add the obvious clarification, “Bentley?” they’ll say, and then follow it with, “As is in the motor cars?” And I can’t help myself, “No,” I’ll quickly reply, “as in the sandwich toasters.”

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why?

The simple fact that he wants to cause unprovoked harm, when there no reason to hate the world around him.

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

Family, obviously, but if it is a ‘something’ then a sense of modest justice in the world. I am calm by nature but I cannot stand by and allow an innocent to go to slaughter, I just can’t. At that moment I stop being my normal self and become irrational and defiant, whatever the personal cost. I know it’s not sensible and don’t know from where this feeling comes but it is irrepressible.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I have a gift for serendipity, it is an odd talent and I try not to let anyone know. My new friends have discovered this about me but strangely none of them have asked me where it comes from. I know how it started and what must be causing it, but I won’t say anything until one of them confronts me about it; I don’t like lying to friends.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

“Steer me away from trouble, I just want to get through the rest of my schooling without upsetting my parents any further.”

***

Question for Kathryn:

“What sort of adventure would you have me embark on, now that you know my character and abilities?”

Is there a romance in your future? Something about eating dinner with your girl at gran's and having your favorite food - only this is your first date and so you drop a piece of roast on your pants. No one notices, and you struggle with what to do about it. 

***

Learn more about Chester and his creatiors:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.